$450 + $44 Mandatory Red Cross Fee for Lifeguarding and Waterfront Skills Certificate + $20 WML Registration Fee (Total = $514).
This is class is for students who wish to renew their Waterfront Lifeguarding Certification.
- 15 years of age on or before the last date of the course
- Swim 550 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the sequence.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10 pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
Completion and competency of skills and score 80% or better on final exam. Participants must behave maturely and responsibly and must attend all classes.
Waterfront Lifeguarding/First Aid: 2 years; CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer: 1 year (NY only – 2 years elsewhere).