$440.00 per person
Junior Lifeguarding will introduce participants to:
- The skills needed for entry to the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course.
- Communication and decision-making skills.
- The basic responsibilities of a lifeguard.
- The basic knowledge and skills required to be a lifeguard.
Junior Lifeguarding is designed for youths 11 years of age, or those who have completed the 5th grade through 14 years of age.
Junior Lifeguarding involves a significant amount of physical activity. Participants should receive information about health requirements and safety before they start the course. A sample letter for Junior Lifeguarding leaders to send to course participants and their parents before the start of the course is in Appendix C of this leader’s guide.
Before entering Junior Lifeguarding, participants must demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim the front crawl for 25 yards continuously while breathing to the front or side.
- Swim the breaststroke for 25 yards using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- Tread water for 1 minute using arms and legs.
- Show a level of comfort on the back by floating on the back for 30 seconds or swimming on the back for 25 yards using the elementary backstroke or back crawl.
- Submerge and swim a distance of 10 feet under water.
On completion of course requirements, each participant may receive an American Red Cross certificate indicating Junior Lifeguarding. These certificates do not indicate that the person is trained to be a lifeguard however, students will receive a CPR certification.
Junior Lifeguarding is approximately 30 hours, 45 minutes in length, including the precourse session. There are 15 lessons of 2 hours each plus the 45-minute precourse session. Each lesson includes dry land and in-water activities with the exception of the lesson focused on first aid. Time is not built into the lesson plans for participants to change into swimwear; therefore, for each session participants should come dressed in swimwear worn under clothing appropriate for the classroom.