Water Safety Instructor
- 16 years of age on or before the last date of the course
- Complete Fundamentals of Instructor Training or have a current American Red Cross instructor certificate from another course (Included in Course)
- Swim the following skills at a learn-to-swim Level 4
- Front Crawl-25 yards.
- Back Crawl-25 yards.
- Breaststroke-25 yrds.
- Elementary Backstroke-25 yards.
- Sidestroke-25 yards.
- Butterfly-25 yards.
- Maintain position on back 1 minute in deep water (sculling is allowed)
- Tread water 1 minute
In order to become a Water Safety Instructor you must complete the precourse skills, attend all classes, participate and be prepared for the four teach-back assignments and score at least an 80% on the final written exam. All class participants must arrive on time, have homework assignments finished and ready for review each day of class and receive feedback from fellow classmates with maturity and an open-mind.
Once you have completed the Water Safety Instructor course you will be certified to teach:
- Learn-To-Swim Levels 1-6
- Parent and Child Aquatics
- Water Safety Outreach, includes
- Basic Water Rescue
- Water Safety Presentations
- Longfellow's W.H.A.L.E. Tales
The course is 35 hours long based on 10 students and including Fundamentals of Instructor Training. Participants must complete all 35 hours unless they do not need FIT. If students already have FIT or hold a current instructor card then 30 hours must be completed in order to be eligible for certification.
Please visit the class schedules page to view our list of classes. To register, please print out the registration form on the Class Schedules page, mail it to us with payment and we will send you a confirmation receipt via email when we get it.