$200.00 per person +$15 Mandatory American Red Cross Certification Fee + $20 WML Registration Fee
To provide youth who are planning to babysit with the knowledge and skills necessary to safely and responsibly give care for children and infants. This training will help participants to develop leadership skills; learn how to develop a babysitting business, keep themselves and others safe and help children behave; and learn about basic child care and basic first aid. Recommended age 11–15 years.
- Define leadership and identify role modeling, respect, communication, motivation, taking action and decision making as important leadership skills.
- Identify ways to respect diversity among the children they babysit. Apply the FIND decision-making model to common babysitting situations.
- Use safe and appropriate techniques for finding babysitting jobs. List good business practices and professional work behaviors for babysitting. Identify safety-related problems and know how to prevent, recognize and fix them to create a safer environment in and around the home. Identify which behaviors to expect from children based on their ages and developmental stages.
- Describe the importance of play for children’s growth and development. List and apply appropriate techniques to prevent misbehavior and help children engage in desired behaviors. List at least three types of basic child care.
- Recognize an emergency. Identify and apply the emergency action steps: CHECK—CALL—CARE. Explain the differences between life-threatening and nonlife-threatening emergencies. Identify who to call and when to call in different emergency situations.
- Describe how to check a conscious child or infant. Explain how to care for bleeding and burns. Demonstrate the proper way to wash their hands. Demonstrate how to properly remove disposable gloves. Demonstrate how to pick up and hold an infant and toddler.
- Demonstrate how to bottle-feed an infant. Demonstrate how to spoon-feed an infant or toddler. Demonstrate how to diaper an infant or toddler. Demonstrate how to help a conscious child or infant who is choking. Demonstrate how to check an unconscious child or infant. Demonstrate how to give care to an unconscious child or infant who is not breathing. Demonstrate the steps to control external bleeding.
This class is 6.5 hours. Babysitter’s Training Certification has no expiration.